Benefits of a Study Group

Sometimes studying for an exam can feel like an isolating event. For those around us that don’t have to take this exam, it can be hard to understand the time and sacrifice it takes to pursue this goal. I can remember feeling misunderstood by family and friends when I turned down invitations to fun events, organized my time differently, and changed what was my priority at the time. I can remember feeling alone, frustrated, and overwhelmed. Then, I joined a study group and found my community. There were people out there going through the same process, experiencing the same feeling, but most importantly pursuing the same goal! We would meet weekly, organize what we planned to study that week, and then reconvene to hear each other’s work and ideas. I would learn more by sharing out loud and teaching what I had studied from that week, but would also learn from others how they learned that same topic in different ways. This was a great supplement to my studying process, and necessary for my mental health as well.

Find a study group, get plugged in, share your wisdom, and learn from others. This page is a great resource to find your community. For those of you that are interested in joining a group, leave a comment below the post. 

Below is an excerpt written by Claudi-Ortiz-ortiz from https://www.angelesinstitute.edu/thenightingale/benefits-of-group-study

She wrote this in relation to a study group for nursing students, however I think these same benefits apply to those of us studying for this licensure exam as well. 

1. Eliminates Procrastination

If you put off studying until the last minute, regularly scheduled group study sessions can eliminate your procrastination. You will have a set time for studying and are accountable to your group members, which makes it less likely you will procrastinate about your studies.

2. Helps You Learn Faster

Students in study groups usually learn faster than students who study alone. If you don’t understand a concept, you can ask your fellow group members questions that will help you understand. Having someone clear up your confusion saves time that you would have spent trying to figure out difficult concepts.

3. Fills in Gaps in Notes

Studying with a group allows you to compare your notes with other students. If you aren’t a great note taker, you can see how other students take notes and fix any errors you might have. If you’re a great note taker, you can help your fellow students fill in the gaps with their notes.

4. Sharpens Your Study Skills

Being part of a study group allows you to observe different types of study methods. Your own study methods might be good, but you may also be able to sharpen your skills by adding new methods that your group study members are using.

5. Breaks Up Monotony of Studying Alone

Spending a lot of time alone studying can become monotonous. Joining a study group can add a social aspect to your study routine. It also gives you an outlet for discussing topics that you are struggling with at school with other students.

6. Hones People Skills

As a nurse (or clinician), you will need to have people skills and a good ability to communicate. Group study can help you develop these soft skills, which will help you throughout your career.