For the last few years, I've been providing 1-on-1 mentoring for graduate students who need help transitioning from their degree into their next career stage. Those with advanced degrees are prepared to take on a variety of career positions but often lack the language to accurately describe what they bring to the table for their next employer.
Through these mentoring chats, I've taught students how to
- manage time and energy to stay on track with graduate degree milestones,
- identify highly sought after skills to develop during their studies,
- create living documents like resumes,
- translate their academic tasks into highly sought after industry skills,
- and identify career paths to pursue with their advanced degree.
The success my students have experienced using these strategies is something I want to share more broadly. As a result, I published all of this and more in What I Wish I Knew: A Field Guide for Thriving in Graduate Studies, available for purchase on March 29th, 2022. This book is geared toward those who are currently enrolled or about to enroll in an advanced degree program such as an MA or PhD.
In this Twitter Space, I'll talk through a lot of the topics I covered in this book, as well as some that did not make the final cut. Join this Space to learn how to make the most of your time during an advanced degree to land a role you love on the other side!